Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Classmate Blog Critique

Rhett Gentry's Blog Critique

Rhett's blog is one of the few blogs that I actually take time and look over, mainly due to its easy-to-read format and his ability to make his posts flow easily, most likely due to the fact that he has a minor in English. The link to his blog can be found here


One of the things that I admire most about Rhett is his style of writing. I'm not sure if there's an actual word for it, but Rhett's style of writing is similar to that of a novelist, using several descriptive terms while managing to to keep his thoughts on track. However, in my opinion, this does come with a downside. He tends to get straight to the point, and, while he does do a good job with the details, he doesn't really branch out past that, providing very little when it comes to background of his subject. He usually talks about it, but not in great detail or length as he does the main focus of his posts. 

Rhett does an extraordinary job with images and videos. For most of his posts, his images and videos were that of his main focus, primarily on a certain person, people, or event. This, coupled with their placement, were aesthetically pleasing to me, particularly with the his post regarding television. 

Rhett definitely goes all out when it comes to research. Overall, it seems his topics are very well-researched with various links and videos provided to back up and support his claim or topic. In particular, his video regarding Japanese film just seemed to fit perfectly with the subject, allowing it to simply mold into his writing and become a part of the flow.

One thing that I do recommend for him to improve upon, apart from the previously mentioned issue, is that I feel the pure black background isn't very inviting. While that is his personal preference, I, personally, don't feel like this an educational blog, but rather a hardened blog of an individual trying a little too hard to promote gun rights. As I said, it is his preference what he does with his blog, but I feel a bit of a brighter tone would help.  


Overall, I believe Rhett's blog is still quite good, despite my personal issues. I can tell he's worked hard and put forth a considerable amount of time and effort into his work and, personally, do think he has earned any praise he receives for his blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment